Now that we all know that the current deep freeze across most of the country is called a polar vortex, many of us are huddled indoors avoiding the dangerously freezing conditions outside our homes. Since we’re housebound it’s a good time to take steps to keep all its systems of our home working.
These inspections and maintenance chores will keep your heating and hot water systems working at peak capacity and the other suggestions will keep the rest of the house clean and maintained. Stay warm and stay inside if you can.
Home Checklist for February
- Replace filters or wash permanent ones in heating system
- Remove sediment from build up in hot water heater tank; if it’s warm to the touch, cover the tank with a water heater blanket
- Clean the exterior of range hood and its filter
- Clean range and oven
- Reorganize contents inside kitchen cabinets
- Clean inside and exterior of kitchen cabinets
- Inspect the attic for signs of roof leaks, condensation or frost build up and clear vents
- Remove and clean the intake screens of clothes washer water supply hoses
- Remove snow and ice from evergreens
If you’re considering any home improvement jobs visit us at www.diyornot.com and find the cost of doing it yourself compared with the cost o hiring a contractor.