With trick-or-treating behind us and Thanksgiving approaching it’s time to take a look at this list and see what needs to be done before there’s a change in the weather. Most of these eight items deal with preparing for cold weather by plugging up leaks and making sure you have supplies you’ll need on hand.
The experts tell us time is well spent now preparing for foul weather that can damage our homes especially if the winter is a long and sustained one. You know the drill, do it now and be glad when the first squall or snow storm hits your neighborhood.
- Replace filters in heating system and humidifier
- Clean carpeting, upholstered furniture and draperies
- Plug air leaks in siding or foundation with spray foam insulation
- Install heat tape or pipe insulation around pipes near northern exposure
- Insulate crawlspace walls
- Inspect exterior lights and outlets
- Mark driveway with stakes for snow
- Tune up snow shovel and snowblower
And if you’re budgeting for a home improvement project in the future visit us at www.diyornot.com to find cost information and compare how much it costs to do it yourself vs. hire a contractor.