This is a busy time of year with graduations, family events and change of season chores, but use this list of 10 items – basically cleaning, maintaining and inspecting – to get off to a good summer of enjoying your home.
Some of these items are quickies, like giving the well-used garbage cans a good washing or replacing an AC filter or checking to see electrical cords are in good shape. Others take a little time, like power washing the siding and cleaning out the garage. These chores will keep your home and all its systems running smooth and efficiently throughout the season.
* Clean out and organize the basement
* Wash bedspreads and blankets
* Clean garbage cans
* Inspect electrical cords and plugs for signs of wear
* Check the color of the flame on gas water heater and range
* Inspect exterior exposed pipes for leaks and corrosion
* Clean dirty or mildew-covered siding and deck with a power washer
* Inspect and tune up garage door and opener mechanism and rubber seal gasket on bottom of the door
* Maintain lawn and garden beds by watering, mowing and weeding
* Replace air conditioner filter
Visit us at www.diyornot.com to find the cost of hundreds of home improvement jobs and compare doing it yourself with hiring a contractor.