The air is fresh, the temperature is cooling and you’re happy to enjoy the joys of autumn. It’s a wonderful time of year. Follow these 13 clean up routines inside and outside your home to prepare for a change in the weather.
- Replace filters or wash permanent ones in heating system
- Change batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Reset programmable thermostat
- Clean and inspect gutters and downspouts
- Clean and store outdoor furniture and decorations
- Wash window glass, frames and sill
- Clean out weep-holes in sliders and change screen to storm panel
- Wash storm door frame and replace storm panels
- Remove portable air conditioner unit
- Clean and store lawn equipment and tools
- Winterize sprinkler system and drain and turn off outdoor water spigots
- Plant spring flowering bulbs
- Clean up fallen leaves, pine needles etc. from lawn and garden beds, build up soil with slow-release fertilizer and mulch plants for winter protection
Visit us at www.diyornot.com to find the cost of hundreds of home improvement projects whether you do it yourself or hire a contractor.